Saturday, January 22, 2005

Dad's ArtWork

Today I posted two pictures of my father’s artwork. It took all morning to figure out how to accomplish the task, but I fought through the frustration and learned a few things during the process. The bust of "G" was completed several years ago and mine several decades ago. (Wow look how thick that hair is!) My how timeless it feels.

My dad’s artistic skills were typically focused on wild life. He never painted and only sketched in preparation for a sculpture of some sort. Typical mediums were wood (hand and chainsaw carvings), pewter and plaster and even gold. He worked for a company at the time that created a majority of sports trophies, school rings, awards and so on. On occasion we would see a project he worked on TV.

Dad was always working on a project at home and he partially enjoyed working in yard. But the years have caught up to him. He is in his early eighties and due to disc problems in his back; he has a difficult time getting around. Couple this with bowel issues, which I believe was brought on after radiation “Treatment” to battle prostrate cancer when he was in his seventies. As he says, “If new getting old was going to be like this, I would have left awhile ago”.

“Do you know what dad (or your father) tried to do today?” is a quote I hear quite often from family members. I see it as an attempt to try to be productive, but often it creates more work for my mother. When I see my dad know he is often sleeping or napping. It seems his consciousness is spending more and more time visiting other realms, sort of like the beginning of life.

Love you dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home